Monday, March 12, 2007

more thoughts on swedish life.

The concept of the state church of sweden and how this has affected and changed the 'free' church that we americans know. This is what I am chewing on today... incase you are wondering. As we went to the 'mega church' of stockholm yesterday, it was interesting to notice a few things about the church, the congregation, the staff, and the service itself. the first impression is how amazing it is that this church was pretty full for being in a super non-christian city of the world. Sweden is so unchurched, it is crazy. Those who do go to church are extremely dedicated. The second thought was about their joy and how and what makes it complete. i have had a few discussions with swedes while being here, specifically about the concept of joy in church and joy from the Lord. what does that look like to them and what do they feel they are missing. As we were singing in the pentacostal church, while we sang the hymns (which I want to point out were both Swedish Covenant Hymns!) the room was stiff and somber. the singers in the front were still and poised. When they sang their two 'praise' type chorses, they were wanting to move around and almost dance, if they felt allowed to do so. Even the huge organ helped play for part of the worship chorses, and the tone of the organ was much different. i wonder if this has anything to do with how there is a stereotype that Swedes don't like to show emotion. Does this relate to joy too?

My last thoughts of thismorning before we go to Fika (coffee time with awesome treats), is my thoughts about how I am glad I didn't have to have the caviar again thismorning at breakfast. We ate caviar from a tube yesterday in order to please our great host, Marcus. I couldn't swallow it. We also had fried Herring the night before for our evening Fika and Salmon for dinner. I am a little fished out right now. I'll get my picture of the caviar in the tube on here soon so you know what not to get while in Sweden. Maybe I am not as true a Swede as I had always dreamed I would be...

we are off to Fika and chapel. This afternoon we are visiting Stockholm some more. It should be fun times.

2 comments:

bansheewigs said...

you're not a true swede ever since you bought that jetta!

but thanks for all of this spiritual swedish stuff. i've always wondered what they all believed and how they worshiped. good stuff, keep sharin'.

oh, to avoid more fish just tell everyone you have recently become a vegetarian, like me. be all like, "yeah, i just remembered that a vegetarian."

Lisa said...

that is some awesome advice! thanks Steph. funny about the jetta since i see more jettas here in sweden than i do in the US.