Thursday, March 16, 2006

Happy St Patricks Day!



The Hauptbahnhof is another name in Germany for the central train station. Let me tell you...Dave and I got to know the Hauptbahnhof yesterday. We decided to do a day trip and we went all over Lower Saxony (the region where they live). It is funny that it is called Lower Saxony because it is actually a northern region.



First we went to Bremen. Bremen is known for the children's story about the donkey who wanted to go to Bremen to play some music...and then all of these other animals came along with him. Forget the name of the story, but that's the one. So, here are a few pictures of the town square in Bremen. Dave and I also went to this Brewery while we were there. (for those of you who know Dave, besides the strussel topped danish at the bakery, this was his other favorite part of the day)



After Bremen, we went to Osnabruck and then also Oldenburg. It was a very busy day of travel (a total of about 6 hours on the train) and lots of walking...we are figuring we walked about 10 miles yesterday. We were tired when we got home, but we were quite excited to see Elizabeth (and sleeping Zech) when we got back. After a dinner of Brats and beer, we watched a few episodes of 24 before we hit the sack.

Another day is now upon us and I am SO tired...I am gonna try to just make it to the plane in London tomorrow after my Hamburg flight...and sleep for the next 7 hours on the plane.

Oh, before I forget, while we were in Osnabruck, we went to the stairs where the peace treaty was signed to end the cold war. I felt like I was back in history class once again. I might get some more Emden history in today and visit the bunkers here across the street from where we are. I also have been wanting to go to the biggest store in town...a bike shop. EVERYONE bikes here in Emden and also especially in Holland. We borrowed a professor's VW passat one day to drive to Holland, and we almost felt out of place because everyone else was on bikes.

Happy St. Patricks Day everyone (and happy birthday Janae!). Here is my St. Patricks day parade picture from London to leave you with for the day! Have a great one!

L.

No comments: