Friday, September 21, 2007

the wetsuit.

I got stuck in my wet suit today. Really, I thought I was going to have to drive home in it from the beach. Here's the background to the story.

Being new still in a new city, I have realized that I do a great job of hanging out at home because I am alone ALL the time...and therefore I am not getting out. I have a job that is easily one that I put in over 60 hours a week into. I do work things all the time...at home, in the office, on retreats. You get the idea. Because of this problem, I am starting to force myself to take care of myself (another thing I suck at), and do something fun for myself everyday. Really, this is a hard thing for me to do...especially when this means that I am doing something fun for myself all by myself for 90% of the time because it is hard meeting new people. (i hate not living in community, can you tell?).

So, today, I told myself that before we leave for the Sr. High retreat this afternoon, I had to do something outside. So, I decided to grab my surf board and go paddle. (again, in my mind, it is much easier to do this with a friend than by myself...) About a month ago I was in Santa Cruz and the guys I was with convinced me that I should get a wetsuit. We were at the hotline outlet and they had a great wetsuit that fit perfect for me. It was on sale from over $350 down to just $100 because it was a few seasons old. I went for it and bought it. While we were in Santa Cruz, we surfed (again, Lisa paddles, not surfs) out on Steamers Lane. I had to have the guys help me get out of the suit because the suit isn't a zipper suit. You get in and out of the suit through the neck hole. Well, the second time I wore it, I also had someone there to help me get my initial elbow out of the wetsuit.

Today, I was by myself. I had 2 choices. Not wear the wetsuit and freeze my butt off in the water, or to wear the wetsuit and hope to high heavens that I could get it off. I went with the second choice. The water was good. I am super glad I have a wetsuit...I think that it will give me warmth for most of the winter season. I had a great conversation with God, and then headed back in to shore.

Now was the problem. I seriously couldn't get out of my suit. I could get my shoulder out...but I couldn't get it down enough to get my elbow out. I was thinking about where I could drive and have one of my friends help me get out of the suit...all I came up with was our secretaries at church. Gosh. So, for ten more minutes I squirmed, tried rolling, and FINALLY I got my elbow out. I am sure the guys watering the lawn at the 5 star Biltmore Hotel across the street had a great laugh at my entertainment for the morning.

The things you do in life for trying to take care of yourself.

5 comments:

Kate said...

OOOH, Lisa - I can totally picture this and have had the same problem - although never with a wet suit, just when trying on clothes in stores. I'm so glad you got out of it!

Katherine Hampton said...

oh the biltmore... you were at butterfly beach! i will get back at them for laughing by stealing the bocci balls.

happychipmunk said...

hey lisa! I was laughing out loud reading this. I can imagine doing the same thing. so... we should chat sometime. you know I have a chicago number that reaches me in Belgium? praying for you to be given some friends or even just one... but cheers for taking care of yourself. I'm trying to do the same thing... sometimes it's just easier to not plan ahead and instead constantly default to hanging out with church folk... but that's not really the healthiest life we've been called to... lots of love, johnna

Marcia said...

Lisa,
You are hilarious and honest. I love it. We have to catch up. Email me with your email address so that I can write you...
Marcia
marciacorner@gmail.com

Marcia said...

Lisa,
You are hilarious and honest. I love it. We have to catch up. Email me so that I can write to you.
Marcia
marciacorner@gmail.com