Saturday, March 08, 2008

World Vision AIDS kits


Today, the four churches of Montecito got together to help fill 2,000 AIDS care kits for those in need in Africa. Each kit will help the lives of up to 7 AIDS patients for 3 months. This project has been HUGE for our churches to fill. I am actually really impressed with our churches. We are a Catholic parish, an Episcopal church, a Presbyterian Church and our Covenant Church that have committed to work together to impact our community and world. Last year we filled 1,000 care kits. Last fall we filled 800 backpacks. This year we did 2,000 kits. About 200 showed up to help fill them. It took a total of 4 hours and LOTS of energy. I am SO sore. My knee isn't happy with me.

I am on the M4 advisory team that is the leadership of our group together. We had Jim Wallis come and speak to us last week about reaching the world with projects like this. (I actually got to drive him from church up to Westmont where the speaking event was...didn't know what to talk to him about. I felt too intimidated and not educated enough politically or social justice-lly. So, I asked him what he would name himself if he were an American Gladiator. I now realize this was a lame question to ask him since he had also never heard of Averil Lavigne). I just think that it is neat that our community is committing to working together, even though we are different denominations.

Just another reason why I am glad I am on staff at Montecito Covenant...even if I do work WAY too much. Oh, and see if you can find me in the bottom picture! (hint: find the super exhausted one).

2 comments:

Matt said...

Thing about the American Gladiator name made me LOL.

Nicole said...

Oh my gosh. I am so wishing I was in that car with you rappin about avril and american gladiators with Jim Wallis. My mind is melting just thinking about it. You are so funny!