Wednesday, September 24, 2008

walking


I went walking today in this surf. I needed to get away, do some quiet time, reflect, and honestly, just walk with Jesus. It is almost like I had been avoiding it because my life is full of turmoil these days. I didn't think that I would like being alone, finding the time, or even walking. I just wanted to avoid it. But, as I was finally being rooted in the word, being honest in my reflections of my bible study, and being still, I felt nourished. I felt encouraged. I felt and experienced that breath of fresh air that I feel like I had been struggling to find for the past while. I even walked in the water for half of my walk...still with wet pants right now as I am typing. The point for myself is this - I loved this part of my day. I know this is going to be my blessing of the day when I get home tonight. Spending time alone and with Jesus is SO crucial to life.

When I got about 25 minutes into my walk on the beach, I came around a cove and found this boat. I think that it was recently washed up on shore...like I might have been only about the 10th person who had seen it.
It made me think about our lives. When we feel shipwrecked, who sees this in our lives? How well are we hiding our lives, our fears, our failures, our mess? Who are we trusting to let know about our shipwrecks? How are we taking care of the situations so they don't get messier? Does it feel like chaos?

Reading through Genesis 1, it is so clear that the whole world was complete chaos before God took control and created out of it. It was a formless mass. It was not "good" in his eyes before he had started making sense of the mess. It finally became "excellent" in the end. There is hope for ship wrecked lives. There is a plan that God can make excellence out of what we might feel is a mess.

5 comments:

The Wellspring said...

What a beautiful reflection for the day. Thanks for sharing it. :)

Lisa in Chicago

The dBs said...

Good words - I'm so glad you had that time... and that you have the beach to spend it on! Love you oodles... BFL

Kels :) said...

Great thoughts, friend. I'm glad you had that time... Keep making the space to encounter Him!

Jennifer Goebel said...

I really like reading your reflections. Thanks for sharing, my friend! :-)

Love you

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you are being encouraged in this difficult time! I'm praying for you!