Friday, March 16, 2007

Goteborg - day 2

Thanks for all the prayers and well wishes from all! It is fun to hear from each of you! I am in Fiskaback today, which is a subburb of Goteborg. This is where the Fiskeback Mission (Covenant) Kyrkan (church) is where Aaron works. We are getting ready for a service that is tonight. Tomorrow will be our tourist day in the city. We went through the neighborhoods here, which was SUPER fun. The main difference between the US and Sweden with land is that there are so many HUGE rocks here in Sweden. We found these trails that had these rocks on them that we went hiking through today. We ended up finding maybe, the best view of the ocean and Islands around Gothenborg. It was beautiful. I felt awkward as we almost felt like we were going through some people's backyards...but then Aaron told me that in Sweden, you are allowed to go through other's yards when you are walking. Funny Sweden.

Some more insight about being with great aunt Margit. Funny story to share. I love how the Swedes have specific ways that things are done. This is so true for especially for older swedes, as great aunt Margit is. So, even though the house she owns is locked from the outside door, she wants to make sure that each time I come up to the main part of the house from the basement where I am staying, that i lock the door...two times. So, I do this. As I came up stairs yesterday, she had closed the door. So, I was locked out of the main part of the house. I tried knocking. I tried ringing the door bell. I thought about going around the hosue to knock on the windows, but remembered that she had just shared the story of how robbers came to her house 5 years ago and scared her half to death. I was clueless on what to do as I was now locked out. So, I knocked again...panicked. knocked again..rang again...and then propped open the mail slot and proceeded to shout "aunt Margit! Aunt Margit, where are you? Aunt Margit?" It was quite humerous I am sure for others if they could hear me. Finally, a few minutes later, Aunt Margit comes to the door and thinks I had just gotten there. Lets me in and that was that. What a crazy time.

The rest of today - friday - we hung out with some sweet swedes, we are currently having night fika, listening to american music with some swedish thrown in there, and figuring out what we are doing tomorrow in the city. we had an adventure trying to drive up to see the city from the top of a hill nearby where one of the girls lives...pictures of the day will soon follow.

I ended up being the singing leader for the Taize service tonight at church. funny for me because i have only been to maybe 2 Taize services in my life, and here i was being the main chant leader....i only messed the songs up twice.

oh, and I just ate ham cheese on bread. again, funny food from the swedes. The token german and swedish lisa both say hello.

No comments: